Mobile Testing Career Guide – Tips to Get a Mobile Testing Job Quickly
Part 1: (You are here) How to Get a Mobile Testing Job Fast
Part 2: Mobile Testing Interview Questions with Sample Mobile Testing Resume
Recommended IPTV Service Providers
- IPTVGREAT – Rating 4.8/5 ( 600+ Reviews )
- IPTVRESALE – Rating 5/5 ( 200+ Reviews )
- IPTVGANG – Rating 4.7/5 ( 1200+ Reviews )
- IPTVUNLOCK – Rating 5/5 ( 65 Reviews )
- IPTVFOLLOW -Rating 5/5 ( 48 Reviews )
- IPTVTOPS – Rating 5/5 ( 43 Reviews )
There is a tremendous anticipated requirement for skilled software testers, especially mobile testers in the coming future. This is really a no-brainer because IT industry is still evolving and there is lots of room for more innovative software apps that will need to be tested.
Mobile industry too is no longer a minority as we can see that all software applications have their equivalent mobile apps too and hence we can say that the requirement for mobile and mobile application testers is also on an all time rise and will be in the days to come.
What You Will Learn:
How to establish a successful mobile application testing career?
How can we make the most of this situation and establish a successful career in Mobile testing jobs? – Let us examine the key skills required:
- Familiarity with mobile devices – A Good understanding of the mobile devices, their peripheral devices, networks etc. Also a passion towards gadgets like mobile, iPad or tablets can do wonders.
- Analytical skills – these help break down complex issues into smaller units for better understanding and treatment
- Technical skills – some of these might include-emulators, mobile automation tool knowledge, set up, MS office for writing test cases and creating test plans and understanding of the application
Mobile Testing Career Path
Career development as a mobile tester is very much similar to that of a software tester and it could look like below however this might differ from company to company and person to person.
QA/Mobile Tester (Fresher) à Test Analyst (2-3 year experience)à Senior Test Analyst (5-6 year experience> => Test Lead (7-09 experience)à Test Manager (10-11 experience)à Senior Test Manager (12+ experience)
There are few certifications available in the market for mobile testing. The most prominent of these are the ones facilitated by IMTQN. International Mobile Testing Qualifications Network (IMTQN) is a Mobile Application Testing qualification certification organization that operates internationally.
- CMAP Mobile App Testing – Foundation Level – CMAP is foundation level international certification which is developed by iSQI.
- CMAP Certified Mobile App Professional – After getting certified on foundation level, testers can opt for this course.
Skills Required for Mobile Testing Jobs:
Detailed skill list targeted towards a mobile testing or mobile app testing career:
- Certifications – Although it may or may not be perceived as a mandatory skill certification such as CMAP Foundation level can do wonders.
- Enhanced knowledge of gadgets – Good understanding on most popular gadgets like I phone, tablets and smartphones like Samsung galaxy, Sony xperia etc. Also, the different mobile environments such as iOS, Android etc.
- Testing knowledge – Understanding of SDLC, STLC, black box, white box testing, agile and waterfall methodologies are equally important when applying for mobile testing job.
- Mobile testing tools – Any experience with mobile testing tool is highly helpful and an advantage for your Mobile Testing career. MonkeyTalk is the world’s greatest mobile app testing tool. It can automate both iOS and Android apps. There are few more android automation application testing tools like Ranorex, Appium and UI Automator.
Here are few humble links that can give you some basic reading material if you are an absolute beginner:
More Mobile Testing Tutorials:
- Beginners guide to mobile app testing
- Top 5 mobile testing challenges and solutions
- Top 5 Android application testing tools
- Robotium tutorial
Once the skill acquisition is all complete and you feel ready to take on a job, we will have to ask ourselves the following question:
Where to find mobile Application testing jobs?
- Friends and references: Most effective but it’s a good idea to know the job description in detail before starting to apply.
- Mobile testing Job Portal: Apply through different job portals available like Monster.com, Indeed.com, CWJobs, Glassdoor, Naukri.com, TimesJobs.com, SimplyHired, Careerjet, freelance mobile testing jobs etc.
- Social Networks: You can search mobile testing job on social network sites like linkedIn.
- Company websites: Apply through company’s websites -> in careers section
Bottom line is, the same rules that apply to searching a regular QA job apply here too. For more information, please check out: 3 Most Effective Ways to Apply for Your Next Job
Mobile App Testing Tips
Tips and Tricks that will help prepare for testing mobile apps:
#1) Installation of the application on different operating systems
Android – To test the application on Android devices requires some initial setup on Go to settings from your device, click on applications and check the checkbox for unknown sources. It will allow the device to run the non -market applications. These changes are necessary if we are not purchasing or installing the application from Google Play market.
Android supports APK (Android Application Package) files, make sure your file format is .apk only. These files can be downloaded using barcode, via Bluetooth transfer, email etc. Download the application, click on it and accept the permissions. Once the app is installed on the device launch it by clicking on the application. Generally after successfully installation, the application shortcut gets created on the device screen.
iOS – Connect your Apple handset with your desktop. To test the application on Apple devices you would require installing the application with extension .ipa on your computer. Save the file in a convenient area on your PC. Go to iTunes and locate the file and open it. Make sure your connected mobile device should display in iTunes. You would able to see it at top right corner, select it from sidebar. Go to the Apps section inside your mobile device and make sure the mobile app you drop in applications is there.
Finally, press the sync button from right bottom corner and wait until your mobile app is installed. Unplug your device and open the mobile application on your device and verify if application is installed successfully.
#2) Taking screen-print on mobile devices
Android – If your handset is above Ice Cream Sandwich then screen-prints are built right into your phone. Simply press volume down with power button at same time and hold for a second. Device will take screen-print and will get saved in gallery.
If your handset is below Ice Cream Sandwich then screen-print would not be built in your handset. You would require some tools to take screen prints like no root screenshot. Install it in your device and PC. Connect your device with computer and then you would able to take the screenshots easily.
iOS – Taking screen-prints with iOS devices are easy. Press power button with a home button and hold it for a second. The screen will get captured. Now connect your device to iTunes and download the file on your machine and save it.
#3) Testing on real environment
Real environment results are more accurate than emulator/simulator. The emulator will fail to test user experience and their usability. Also, it won’t be able to test hardware, software and their infrastructure. It’s a good practice if we run end to end scenarios on real devices to make sure user will not face problems with the application when using them real time.
#4) Error Log Collector
Android – When an application crashes while testing, a log collector can be used to troubleshoot the crashing. This will collect the log of the device and send it to a developer using methods like emails or messages etc.
IOS – Logs can be found by syncing the device with iTunes on computer. Locate the file open it on computer, log file name start with the application name.
#5) Manual vs Automation
Automate tests that have unambiguous expected results and most frequently tested test cases. User interface should be tested manually. If functionality gets changed in the application or due to any new modifications the chances are high the script won’t work hence make sure the scripts are maintainable.
#6) Testing a web application on a mobile device
Test your application on all the necessary browsers, I would suggest you to install Safari, Firefox, chrome and opera and test the application on mobile. With the help of emulator you can test the application on your computer through online available tools. Mobiletest is one of them; it is used to test the websites.
#7) Performance – While we focus mostly on the functional testing of the mobile applications, we cannot undermine the importance of performance being at par too. Therefore, this is yet another niche that mobile testing aspirants can explore and make a career out of.
In conclusion, Mobile device testing and Mobile application testing are wonderful career opportunities for the testing community.
This article gave an overall outline of various topics ranging from mobile testing career introduction to certifications to tips to skills etc.
In the next article we will look at how we can gather the skills, create a resume & cover letter for mobile testing jobs. Also, the most commonly asked mobile testing interview questions will be a bonus. Please keep waiting.
Also as always, we would love to hear your comments, questions and suggestions below. More importantly if you have successfully made a career out of mobile application testing, please share your story so the others can be inspired and benefited from your experience.
In our next article, we will discuss more on Mobile Testing Interview Questions and Answers.